Wednesday, January 18, 2006
2006 Intelligence Resolutions!!
Okay, Happy New Year from the Apex Highway! I think I need three lists - one for physical goals, one for spiritual, and one for intellectual. Let's start with the easy one first - intellectual. I haven't posted any thoughts on this in a long time, but I haven't forgotten comments I got from Idaho on the relative merits of intelligence. I still really think it can be more of a hindrance than a help in life but I'm going to keep chugging along and try to improve mine, and maybe stretch in some new ways as I work to an apex. I haven't really given this list much thought but I'm going to throw it up here for discussion, making it up as I go along. So here you are, only 18 days late, my intellectual goals for 2006! I think this is an ambitious list without being insane.
1. Read 100 Books. I just don't read as much as I like - it is a great stress relieving strategy that works, and I haven't made it a priority these last few years. I will track books read here.
2. Finish the course materials for Beginning Guitar and develop competence necessary to pass screening test for admittance to Intermediate Guitar class.
3. Build a wood strip canoe. As you can see, I am focusing on kinesthetic intelligence. I've always wanted to build one and have no good reason anymore not to do it.
4. Build a simple china cabinet for our collection of knick-knacks. We have a growing collection of priceless (to us) bits of rock, driftwood, ceramic figurines, ivory carvings and other pretties that need a home. I don't even know where to start on this one, so it's bound to be a project that will stretch my abilities.
5. Finish "the sculpture" - I have had a concept for a stone carving in my head for several years now. The concept is now going away. Sculpture instructors have been excited by the idea but think it is crazy to do for a beginner. I need to produce this piece of work to get it out of my head, and have started unsuccessfully a couple times. This will be a tough one but I have researched some techniques that will help.
6. Front to back restoration and tune-up of 1100 Virago motorcycle. May develop as a "rat bike" with all chrome blacked out. Successfully drive bike to the lower 48 and back without incident.
7. Design and execute original mother-of-all gingerbread houses with Lydia. We did not get one built this year so we need to make an amazing one next year to make up for it. We're talking gingerbread castle here . . .
8. Cook 50 successful meals from recipies I've never made before for the family.
9. Find a new and intellectually challenging job as I am stagnant where I am at currently.
10. Locate at least 200 pounds of raw cutting material suitable for making jewelry from Alaska's beaches to have for next year's goals.
Learning to play and instrument-I look forward to my piano class every week!
Getting a college degree-Only 3 semesters left!
Raising a family-With Megan whom i love unconditionally, and the baby on the way i've gotten over the initial scare and am starting to get excited about being a father.
Good luck with your resolutions for the year! I love you!