Saturday, September 02, 2006

 

Back In Idaho

I arrived back at Bren's in Idaho last night after a long day on the road. It looks like the audio post I made from Rock Springs is lost or misplaced by blogger, so here is a brief overview!

My visit with Mike and Mary in Colorado was wonderful! The next morning Mike went off to work and Mary and I went through a pot of coffee getting caught up. Mary is truly a wonderful human and I immensely enjoyed our conversations - her perspective and insights are truly appreciated. They are tearing up the road in Mike's neck of the woods so travel is only possible before 7:30 AM and after 5 PM but we assumed I could squeeze my motorcycle through when I got ready to leave - an incorrect assumption, it turned out. Fearless Mary jumped in her Subaru and led me up the 4 wheel drive road to the top of the mountain and down the other side - what an adventure for both of us! We pushed the limits of both Subarus and Yamaha road bikes but made it safely and I was on the road again. An added bonus was the deer that leapt across the road on the way up the mountain, beautiful tawny brown with spots, a great way to start the ride. Mary sent me on my way with a full belly and a day's worth of food - thanks so much to them both for the great visit and I hope to see you on the 7th!

That night I camped near the entrance of Rocky Mountain National Park between Granby and Grand Lake and rode through the park the next day - what a ride! I became a minor celebrity as I was riding in shorts and tee shirt, enjoying the day, apparently a bizarre idea at that altitude and time of year. I had discussions with quite a few fellow bikers and travelers on the subject of whether I was cold or not (I wasn't), but I hadn't realized how the word had spread until I was at the visitor center picking up some post cards and the cashier gave me this look and said "We heard about you" - pretty funny.

Anyways, gotta run, I'm off to the movies with my nephew and will post more later!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?